Monday, March 21, 2011

The Paleo Diet

After reading several "success stories," hubs and I decided to try the Paleo Diet.  You might've heard of it as the caveman diet.  You basically eat like a stoneage person.  You eat nothing but fruits, vegetables, and lean meats.  You can also have some nuts thrown in there, too.  All processed items are out the window.  No bread, no dairy (although we will have a yogurt every now and then), no pasta, nothing boxed, nothing canned, and nothing manufactured by man. 

Now, before you freak out (which suprisingly my FB friends have), we're giving this a go-round for 30 days and we'll go from there.  We want to see how we feel without all the processed foods in our diet.  And actually, I'm pretty proud of our decision.  Yes, it's difficult having to actually cook, plan, and think about what you'll be eating, but we're eating better.  I've never actually consumed so many servings of fruits and vegetables in one day.  Plus, we're reintroducing ourselves with fish.  Yes, fish.  Which is something I've not eaten since childhood, because I don't really like fish.  But, I told hubs I'd give fish another chance.  So in our fridge right now is some Salmon and Tilipia.  I'll let you know what happens with that!  I'm actually a little scared!

But, I plan to document our diet and how it's working for us here every now and then.  Oh, and in case you're concerned that we wont be getting enough Calcium from our diet since we're cutting out dairy, don't worry we've been taking a Calcium and Vitamin D supplement for over a year now and we're going to research to see what other foods have Calcium in them.

So for breakfast this morning (right now), I'm eating scrambled eggs with bell pepper and onion and some strawberries and grapes.  I see nothing wrong with that....so I'm not too sure why people are freaking out on me on FB...........


post signature

9 comments:

That's Mrs. Russell said...

You go girl! The processed and refined are what has been keeping me going, and NO DOUBT packing on the pounds. I have also stopped my workouts ALTOGETHER! Bad me.. I'm using this comment as my confess to the world in hopes of getting back on the bandwagon. Good luck. Can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Lindsay said...

Wow you are way more hardcore than me! Good luck! Keep us posted on how it goes...

As for vitamins and nutrients - I thoroughly believe that if you eat a variety of fruits/veggies/well-rounded you will have the nutrients you need. Sorta like how people think vegetarians don't get enough protein but really there is protein in lots of things.

I'm reading "the China study", not paleo-preaching, but a good read in my opinion (so far anyway).

Jos said...

I used to eat paleo for awhile when I was super into CrossFit (they're huge advocates of the paleo lifestyle). I actually really liked it! If you'd like, I can dig through my old recipes and send you a few that I had modified to be all paleo. Let me know!

Also, I found my body needed more carbs than I got from paleo, so I ended up incorporating quinoa.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/278303-quinoa-paleo-diet/

That might be something for you to transition towards after your 30 days is up. My body definitely does better when I avoid gluten anyway.

Lindsay said...

Yup I googled calcium in veggies -- grapefruit, blackberries, orange, pomegranate, butternut squash, celery, okra, kale, french beans, bok choy, brussel sprouts...

Lauren@ Not Your Average Southern Belle said...

I go to church with a lot of people who follow the Paleo diet... And props to you! I'm sure a lot of the folks freaking out on Facebook eat things like Sonic, Burger King, drink diet Cokes etc, which are basically POISON in your body... So why judge you for getting back to basics?

I would love to hear more about your tips for following it and how its going for you! I've never had stomach issues in my life until recently and have thought about going Paleo to get back in order.

Sara said...

I have no idea why FB people are freaking out either! My husband and I also eat following mainly the Paleo diet - NO processed foods! I do eat yogurt every now and then too and he eats Ezekial brea, which is a "living bread," once in awhile too. Processed foods are so horrible for our bodies and we are not meant to be eating them anyway! They are poison, very bad. I wish you the best of luck with your journey - I can't wait to hear about how you like it. Tilapia is one of my favorite kinds of fish and it is very mild so you may like it.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. Keep us posted on this!

Can you eat brown rice and other grains?

Calcium = Leafy Greens :)

Amber said...

I look forward to hearing about it throughout the 30 days. I have been thinking about doing something similar to this, so it will be nice to follow you.

My hubs and I are considering Clean Eating. You can still have diary, but no processed foods.

Unknown said...

My husband went veg etarian for 30 days, then stayed on it (he added fish, though). He looks great and feels great--I hope you have as much success with your new diet.
It's crazy to have to switch the way you cook and grocery shop, isn't it? It's weird how "good" foods are now "bad" when you change your diet.