Monday, July 6, 2009

Race Report & Strep Throat

Hope everyone had a great Independence Weekend! This will be very short as I'm home and have Strep Throat. Yep, went to the Dr today... I felt great until yesterday and then it all went downhill. Moving on..

The race went really well. Hubs & I woke up at 5:30, got ready, and drove to LR. I had to register on race day (which I hate), so I wanted to make sure to get there with plenty of time.
Breakfast - I had 5 peanut butter crackers. Not what I usually eat before a race, but it's all we had.
We get to LR at 6:30 and I registered with no problems. They were out of all t-shirt sizes except 2xl.. So, I took that and gave it to hubby to do yardwork in. :)
There were a ton of people at the race. The past 3 years I've done the race, there has always been a ton of people. I think there were between 600-800 runners that finished. I could look it up again, but I don't wanna :)
Race starts, I hit the start button on Happy and noticed that it hadn't cleared my time from the last time I used it. I had no idea what buttons to hit, so I just noticed what time I started on and away I went. Mile 1 went pretty well, with the exception that I had to tinkle and there were no porta potties at the race, what-so-ever.
Anyways, it's pretty much downhill until the last mile. Mile 3 you travel up a few nice, long hills. That's where people started to die ...myself included.

Here are my splits:
Mile 1 11:52
Mile 2 12:24
Mile 3 13:34
.10 9:58 pace
Not too terribly bad (for me). My official time was 39:29. I was pretty happy. That's a PR for me! Yay! I was secretly hoping for 38 minutes, but I'm pretty happy with my time.
Also, just an FYI.. usually a Kenyan wins the race..but this year, the Kenyan was beat. The guy that beat him had a pace of 4:20 and the Kenyan had a pace of 4:30!! Wow! Insane!
That's all I've got. I'm going to go rest now!

No comments: