Friday, May 29, 2009

RIP Duke :(

After getting back from vacation, we were very happy to see our dogs.  Well, we found out that Duke the Chocolate Lab had been fighting with little Rocky and Bear, just about every other day while we were gone.  Duke has always been a very aggressive dog, but it's always worked itself out - they didn't fight that much.  Maybe once every few weeks or so.

Well, if you remember, Duke and Bear both have heartworms and Duke also has a tumor on his back.  Well, we were just going to let Duke "go" until he started having pain and then we were going to put him to sleep.  Looking back, that was selfish of us, but we love that guy - even if he's mean at times.    BTW, Bear begins his heartworm treatment on the 8th.

Long story short, Duke and the other dogs kept getting into it this morning.  Big time.  We had a hard time separating them and they just wouldn't quit fighting.  They just kept fighting and they just wouldn't stop.  It happened twice within an hour period and it wasn't getting any better.  There was blood shed - Rocky has several gashes that were breathing and Duke was bleeding on his ear as well.  We tried to separate them all by putting Duke in the pin that we have in the backyard.  He broke through the pin twice - literally.  He was very, very upset and he wanted out.  So, after weighing our options, we decided that it had to be done - we had to put Duke to sleep soon.  

The Vet had already told us a few months back that Duke wouldn't live through the tumor removal surgery and that if he did, he definitely wouldn't live through the heartworm treatment.  So, we called the Vet this morning and hubs took the poor guy in.  There was no way I could go with him.  That dog loved me immensely.  I was his favorite and I loved the poor guy, no matter how mean he could be.  But, we decided for the safety of our other dogs and for his health and safety, today was the day.  

I'll miss that poor guy.  I already do.  Rocky has been whining all day because he thinks that Duke is in the house playing with us.  :(  

It was a bad way to end a vacation.  But, it had to be done.  I'd post a picture of the poor guy, but I don't think I can go through the pictures right now.  It hurts.  So, if you'd like to see a picture of Duke, he's on my sidebar still.  

Rest In Peace, good friend.  We love you and will miss you lots.  :(

8 comments:

Cammie said...

So sorry Shannon

Pharmacist Erin said...

Oh, this just makes my heart break. I think you made the right decision. I just can't imagine having to make the final decision. At least you have your other 2 babies to cheer you back up!

Q, La, and Gooner said...

Wow that is crazy! I'm so sorry! Why the aggression? I'm hoping that you don't feel too bad today!

WindyBug said...

I'm sorry Shannon. Terrible way to end a vacation, but just try to remember the happier memories.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

So sorry...Just blog hopping today and enjoyed reading your blog...

I am posting on our Disney trip so hope you will stop by.

Also, the June giveaway starts today...all comments left in June will be in the drawing for the "June Card Box"! You will have to go down a few posts to read about the monthly giveaway.

Happy Sunday!

Jennifer said...

I wonder where his aggression came from? So sorry to hear about Duke. What a sad thing to have to come home to after vacation.

Lacy said...

Shannon, I am so sorry for your loss. I don't care what people without pets say...doggies are memebers of the family, and losing them hurts so bad! I hate it that you had to finish your vaca on such a sad note.

Dawn Smith (Bee and Rose) said...

Shannon, I am so sorry for your loss. It's never easy to make those decisions. Sending you a big hug:)