Monday, May 3, 2010

TS 5k Race Recap

I did it! I broke my PR!

My last 5k PR was 39:29. My time on Saturday was 36:45!!! I broke my 5k PR time by almost 3 minutes!!!


Here are my splits:

Mile 1: 10:34 <--my fastest mile EVER!
Mile 2: 12:12
Mile 3: 12:32
.14: 10:46 pace
Max Speed: 7:47 pace!

I sprinted the last little bit to the finish line, so that I could stay in the 36 minute range!!

A short race recap....

We were running late Saturday morning. I had told my friend N that we'd be there at 7:30 and well, we left our house at 7:20ish. Needless to say, we forgot the camera. Blah, blah, blah. It was hot and muggy. Friday night (and Saturday night) we had tornadoes and bad storms in the area (post for tomorrow). So, it was crazy humid. There were a little over 1000 participants. So, the first mile was a little crazy. I felt great and was trying to get around all the kids and parents - people were everywhere!! I ran the first mile straight through. The first water stop was at Mile 1 and those volunteers were teenage girls who didn't have a clue what they were doing. Needless to say, no water for me. But, that wasn't a big deal. A little after mile 1, the 10k and 5k runners split off from one another. Mile 2 was fine. I slowed down some - I always do, so no surprise there. I felt pretty good. I grabbed a tad bit of water at this water stop. I was running behind a lady and she dropped something and stopped directly in front of me. I dodged her at the last minute as she yelled she was sorry.

Then, came the rain. I didn't mind the rain, but I didn't like the thundering. While coming close to the 3rd mile, I was ready for this to be over with. ha! I knew I was coming in for a nice PR so I told myself to just keep running. The finish line is right after a lap around the track. I hate doing that lap around the track. I always feel so sluggish and I know people are in the stands watching. As I was coming into the track, a woman and her son stopped dead in front of me - causing me to walk for about 3 seconds.

Anywho, I made my way around the track - very slowly and then saw the finish clock. I looked at my Garmin and saw that I was in the 36's and so I booked it to the finish line. Then, of course, I forgot to turn OFF my Garmin - so my Garmin actually says 36:47, but I'm giving myself 2 seconds. LOL

Anywho, the official results online are completely jacked. It has me coming in at 37:04 which is completely wrong. I don't understand it because there was a starting mat and that's where I started my Garmin. But, after posting my frustration on Facebook, a few friends chimed in and said that the race results were indeed wrong. So, I'm going by my Garmin!

No comments: