Monday, June 29, 2009

Unsettled

That's the way I feel today. Unsettled.

This weekend I found out that my Grandmother has cancer again. This will be her 3rd round with it. She's had breast cancer twice and now has cancer in her spine and back. I can't even begin to describe how that makes me feel. She's a real trooper. She really is, but in the back of my mind, I wonder, how many times can a person beat this fight?

Turns out, she has a gene that has been linked to causing cancer - I'm not sure what it's called or the stats on it, but I do know that other family members have been tested for this gene and thankfully, do not have it. But, this gene is why the cancer keeps coming back.

A while back, she was checked for cancer - just a "normal" screening and came back cancer free. Then, she started feeling numbness in her leg and so they thought it was probably a pinched nerve but decided to do an MRI, just in case. I'm thankful they did. Otherwise, they wouldn't have found it. It wasn't a pinched nerve. It was cancer.

So, today she starts her radiation. We're hoping she doesn't have to go through Chemo again. We shall see I guess. So, I'm asking you all to do me a favor. Pray. Pray for my grandmother and my family. Pray that she'll win this battle, once again.

12 comments:

Adorably Distracted... said...

absolutely! I'll send out a prayer for your grandmother! what a fighter!

B.o.B. said...

You and your family are in my prayers.

Emma-leigh said...

You all are in my prayers.

Jennifer said...

I hear your questions and fears about this being her third bout with cancer. I would have the same questions and fears. You and your grandmother are in my prayers Shannon.

jineen said...

i will pray my heart out for your grandmother:) how are you liking your garmin? i am glad the hamsteak mad eyou laugh, stinkin thing only caused me heartache.....the hamsteak i imean, not talking about it. why would a hamsteak care if i talked about it?

Mrs.Shu said...

I'm so sorry...you all are in my prayers!

Brandi said...

I'm sorry to hear this Shannon. Your grandmother and your family are in our prayers.

Lacy said...

Shannon, I am sorry to hear about your grandma having cancer again! That must be so hard to have already beat it twice, and still have it come back! I am praying for her and your family!

The Branches said...

Oh Shannon...I know exactly how you feel, we just went through this with my Papa last year and it was the worst! I'll be praying for you and your family <3 Becky

Amanda said...

I am so sorry to hear that. I'll be sending good thoughts that she can beat this yet again.

Jon and Steph said...

I'm so sorry! Your grandma is definitely a tough woman to have dealt with cancer so many times! I'll be sending prayers her way.

Hollie said...

hang in there. you're in my prayers